Cape De Rama Fort
In the 1760s, the Portuguese gained control of Cabo de Rama after the Raja of Soonda surrendered his territory to them in return for protection against Hyder Ali of Mysore. Prior to that, the fort had regularly switched hands between Hindu and Muslim monarchs. The present structure with its walls, moats, ramparts turrets, chapel and cannons are remnants of the Portuguese era. The Portuguese equipped it with 21 guns and installed military barracks, a commander's quarter and a chapel.
In 1799, the Fourth Anglo-Mysore War saw the defeat of the King of Mysore, thus bringing an end to the Portuguese's primary rival in the region. Over time, the purpose of the fort shifted from being a defensive structure, to a prison. This fort housed a government prison till 1955.
Today, this fort is in partial ruins, but is a popular tourist attraction of Goa.
The Butterfly Beach is called so because the shape of the valley in which it is ensconced is similar to that of a Butterfly. The Butterfly Beach is located between the beautiful Palolem and Agonda beaches of South Goa.
Legend has it that the location of the temple was the place where Lord Shiva united with his consort Parvati after a long period of separation. Another source mentions that the demon Malla was fighting with one of the Pandava brothers, Arjuna. Shiva assumed the form of a hunter and killed Malla and saved Arjuna and hence the name ‘Mallikarjun'. The temple is also known as Adavat Sinhasanadhishwar Mahapati Canacona among the locals.
This Kankunkar clan was founded by prince Kashi Purush and his band of brothers who founded the various Gharwais under Shristhal, Canacona. They were escaping from Mahmud Gawan's wrath after his father switched loyalties from Bahamani to Vijayanagara. Since Goa's Goud Saraswat Brahmins were known to work for Vijaynagara they chose to settle in Canacona.
Agonda Beach is a public beach located in Agonda village in Goa, India, about 9.2 kilometres (5.7 mi) north of Palolem Beach in South Goa district, and about an hour from Margao. There is one more beach on the north side of Agonda cliff called Cola beach which has an adjoining lagoon.
Cola's sandy beach is separated by salty ocean on one side and a coastal lagoon on the other. The word 'picturesque' gets a new definition here. If you are not too fond of dunking in the salt water, you can simply opt for the lagoon and yet enjoy views of oceanic waves. Cola offers a few huts to sleep overnight